Wednesday, February 01, 2012

2012 Goals, January Review

I think one of the most important things about setting goals and working towards them is tracking progress. Only upon review do you get any sort of evidence that you're either a.) on track or b.) not on track. Duh. So, to review, I noted five goals for the year. I don't know that I put a whole lot of time and effort into determining in which direction I wanted to go this year, but I threw some down to give myself something to work towards.

In short, my goals were:

1. Bike Commute More - So far I've biked to work once this year. I like to think it would have been more, but I picked up a knee injury on January 21st and haven't run or biked since in order to rest up for a 40 mile race in a few days. If the knee is in good shape after the 40, I'll begin again.

2. Run a sub 20 minute 5k each week - So far I'm 5 for 5 covering the first 5 weeks of the year. I started with a 19:27 on January 2nd, was a second slower on January 10th, but lowered my time to 19:01 on January 19th. While this isn't quite a race effort, it's no jog either and requires planning and focus. On the 28th (the last day of week 4) I ran a 19:18 and followed that with a 19:12 on the first day of week 5. Now I'm just hoping to be able to finish the 40 miler this Saturday and recover enough (or have enough ibuprofen) to run on Friday the 10th. (come on 19:59!)

3. Do sit-ups every day - Fail. Maybe did sit-ups three days? Pull-ups were re-incorporated into my routine on the 23rd of January. Renew the sit-up focus today. (Bikini season isn't that far away!)

4. Pay off $10,000 in mortgage principle - Meh, not thrilled about progress so far, but there's 11 more months to go. We're trying to refinance at a much lower rate (5.625% current at 30 year, looking at 3.25% at 15 year) which will help out a lot, but there aren't very good comparables for the appraiser so we're having some trouble getting the re-fi nailed down. Either way, $10k on principle is the goal for the year and I should have something to post next month. So far we've paid $840 towards principle this year.

5. Run more and aim for 3000 miles - 3k would be about 500 more than I've ever run in a year and would take a year-long effort. While I'm not giving up on this one yet, it may be too ambitious for my crappy knees (as indicated by my week off needed in January). First two weeks were solid at 70 miles, but the knee thing has this goal on hold.

To be quite frank, I've been focused more on day to day living more than I've been focusing on these (arbitrary) goals. I suppose, that's a good thing, considering that none of these goals really had anything to do with the main responsibilities in my life (work, husband, father).

4 comments:

Brett said...

Good job!

We consistently pay off our mortgage too. It feels like it takes forever and we're treading water in mud. But now that we've been at it for several years, we can look back and see the progress.

Everyone else is buying more house than they can afford, missing payments, voluntarily walking away, etc. So you must be doing it right! Be different - do the right thing!

UltraBrad said...

Brett,

When we bought, we knew we'd have to buy something that we could afford on my salary alone, so that helped steer us into something affordable. Since we've been on the Dave Ramsey plan for an entire year, we've made unbelievable progress as far as our personal finances go. Though we've got a long time to pay GMAC Mortgage, I'm eager to get them as much money as I can, as quickly as I can.

Brett said...

We've been working on paying ours down for a few years now. It feels slow as molasses and like the mountain is too high. Like we are trying to eat an elephant. Each bite feels completely negligible and ineffective.

But now that its been awhile, I can look back - only $300/month used to go to principle a couple years ago - now something like $700/month is going into principle.

So not only are we grabbing the future end of our mortgage payments and pulling it in closer, we are naturally paying down more of our mortgage every month even if we just pay the regular payment.

It is a beautiful thing. We are determined to not have a mortgage payment some day, on top of not having car payments either.

UltraBrad said...

The mortgage is our only debt...can't wait to be done with it, even if it takes 10 years!